존키칼럼 안전한 지역사회 유지 / Keeping our communities safe

교민뉴스

존키칼럼 안전한 지역사회 유지 / Keeping our communities safe

일요시사 0 435 0 0
최근 우리 지역사회 안에서의 범죄와 안전에 대한 많은 논의가 있었습니다. 
일부 교민들 및 다른 다민족 시민들이 자신의 안전을 우려하며, 두렵다고 전했습니다.  

저는 국민당이 지금도 변함 없이 범죄 예방 및 안전한 지역사회를 지원하는 것에 전념하고 있다고 장담할 수 있습니다. 의심에 여지 없이 최근 절도범죄가 증가했습다. 저는 총리가 되기 전 몇년 동안 서너번 도둑이 들었으며, 이 일이 얼마나 공격적이고, 충격적인 경험인지 압니다.
그렇기 때문에 절도 범죄 책임자들을 붙잡고, 그들에게 책임을 물으며, 절도를 예방하고 감소시키기 위한 경찰의 움직임은 다행스럽습니다. 
9월 1일부터 경찰은 주거침입 절도의 우선 순위 수준을 높혀 우선 순위로 다루어야 할 위법 행위로 여길 것이며, 주거침입이 발생한 경우, 경찰관들이 적당한 기간 안에 출동하게 됩니다. 
저는 또한 이런 인식과, 최근의 절도범죄 증가에도 불구하고 국민들에게 장담할 수 있는 것은, 이러한 시기임에도 불구하고 범죄율은 여전히 역대 최저 수준이라는 것입니다. 

전반적으로, 범죄율은 5년 전과 비교했을 때 16%가 줄어들었으며 – 이것은 53,000개 이상의 범죄가 감수된 수치입니다. 더 나아가 폭력 범죄는 8%가 감소 되었으며, 청소년 범죄는 38% 감소 되었습니다.
범죄 통계를 보면 아시아 커뮤니티들이 공격 대상이라는 것에 대한 증거가 없습니다. 2013 인구 조사에 의하면, 대략 뉴질랜드의 12%의 인구가 아시아 민족인 가운데, 범죄 피해자 중 아시아인들의 비율은 2~3% 입니다.  
경찰은 다민족 사회 안에서 일어나는 범죄를 해결하기 위해 열심히 노력하고 있으며, 다민족과 구체적인 우려사항들에 대해 나누며, 긴밀히 협력하는 특별 경찰관들이 있습니다. 

뉴질랜드에 어떠한 범죄의 희생자도 없는 것이 이상적이겠지만, 안타깝게도 전세계 어느 나라도 범죄로부터 자유하지 못하며, 뉴질랜드도 예외는 아닙니다. 그러나 오늘과 같이 점점 더 불확실한 세상 가운데, 뉴질랜드는 세계에서 가장 살기 안전한 나라 중 하나입니다. 최근 이루어진 국제적인 여론 조사는 뉴질랜드를 162개국 중 네번째로 안전한 나라로 평가했습니다.  
그러나 우리는 국민들의 우려들을 들었습니다. 그렇기 때문에 최근 저는 경찰관 숫자를 늘리는 것에 대한 언급을 했습니다. 국민당이 정부로 들어선 후, 우리는 순찰 경찰관을 600명 더 증가시켰습니다.  
 우리는 또한 기술에 투자함으로써 일선 경찰의 현장 투입 시간을 연 50만 시간 더 끌어올렸습니다- 이것은 뉴질랜드 지역사회를 지키기 위해 약 350명의 경찰 인력을 새로 충원한 것과 동일합니다.
또한 올해 정부는 우리 지역사회의 범죄를 예방하기 위한 경찰의 좋은 일과, 그들을 지원하기 위해 $300 million을 투자하였습니다.

더 나아가 우리는 범죄 가해자들을 단속하고 있습니다. 정부는 최악의 재범자들이 가석방 없이 최고형을 받을 수 있도록 하는 삼진 아웃제를 발표하였으며, 다른 여러 범죄들에도 형량을 강화 했습니다. 

사람들은 자신과 자신의 가정이 범죄의 피해자가 되지 않도록 많은 것을 실천할 수 있습니다. 지역사회들은 그 안에 속한 사람들이 모두 함께 자신의 가족 구성원들이 어디에 있는지 알 수 있게 서로를 돌보며, 서로를 알아가는 것으로 인해 더 안전하고, 회복력이 좋은 사회로 나아갈 수 있습니다. 혹 안전하지 않다고 느끼거나, 범죄의 피해자가 되었다면 경찰서를 방문하시기를 강력히 권고드립니다. 경찰은 돕기 위해 있습니다. 

국민당은 법과 질서에 많은 신경을 씁니다 – 우리는 그 부분에 크게 투자하며, 우리 지역사회들이 안전해질 수 있도록 우리는 지속적으로 여기에 초점을 맞출 것입니다.

There’s been a lot of discussion recently around crime and safety in our communities.
Some people in our Korean and other ethnic communities are telling us they’re scared and concerned for their safety.

I would like to reassure you National remains as focused as ever on preventing crime and helping to keep our communities safer. There’s no doubt there has been a recent upturn in burglaries. I’ve been burgled three or four times over the years before I became Prime Minister and I know what an invasive and disturbing experience this can be. 
That’s why I’m pleased to see Police making moves to put more focus on preventing and reducing burglaries and capturing those responsible and holding them to account. From 1 September, Police will raise the priority level of house burglaries to a priority offence so all break-ins are attended by Police staff within a reasonable time frame. 
I also want to reassure you that despite the perception, and while there has been a recent upturn in burglary, the crime rate is still at near historic lows.  

Overall, crime is down by 16 per cent on five years ago - that’s more than 53,000 fewer crimes.  And violent crime is down 8 per cent and youth crime is down 38 per cent. There is also no evidence in crime statistics to show Asian communities are being targeted.  The 2013 census showed around 12 per cent of New Zealand’s population is of Asian ethnicity, whereas the proportion of Asians who have been the victim of a crime is between 2 and 3 per cent.
Police are working hard to address crime in ethnic communities and have special officers who work closely with those communities to discuss any specific concerns. While the ideal would be that no one in New Zealand is the victim of crime, unfortunately no country in the world is crime free and New Zealand is no exception. However, in today’s increasingly uncertain world we are one of the safest countries in the world to live. A recent international survey rated us the world’s fourth safest country out of 162 countries.

We have heard people’s concerns though. That’s why recently I indicated we are looking at likely increasing Police numbers even further. Since we came into Government, we’ve increased the number of Police on the beat by 600.
We’ve also increased frontline policing by half a million hours a year by investing in new technology - that’s equivalent to around 350 more Police out and about protecting New Zealand’s communities. 
This year we also gave a $300 million funding boost to support Police and the good work they do preventing crime in our communities. 

We’re also cracking down on the perpetrators of crime. We introduced the three-strikes policy that ensures the worst repeat criminals receive the maximum allowable sentence with no parole and have toughened sentences for a range of other crimes.
People can do a lot to keep themselves and their families from becoming victims of crime.  Together, communities can become safer and more resilient by looking out for each other, getting to know each other, and making sure they know where family members are.
I would also urge you to visit your local Police station if you are feeling unsafe or have been the victim of a crime. They are there to help.

National cares a lot about law and order - we’ve investing heavily in that area - and we will continue to focus on it so we can help make our communities safer.

0 Comments